Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti earthquake - an email from Dr. Bernard

Dr. Jacob Bernard, director of New Life Link orphanage, managed to send out the following email:

DEAR CHRISTIAN FRIENDS,

THANKS 1000 TIMES TO EACH AND ALL OF YOU MY DEAREST FRIENDS WHO SEND US EMAILS ABOUT THIS DISASTER. THANKS 1,000,000 TIMES FOR YOUR CONTINUED PRAYERS. WHAT WOULD WE HAVE DONE WITHOUT YOUR FRIENDSHIP, PRAYERS, AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT. PRAISES, GLORIES, AND POWERS BE TO OUR ALMIGHTY SAVIOR AND LORD JESUS FOR SAVING MY LIFE FROM THIS BIG EARTHQUAKE WHICH MIGHT KILL THIS AFTERNOON THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE. IT WAS ABOUT 4:50P.M, I STEPPED UP INTO THE MAYOR'S OFFICE ON MY WAY BACK HOME FROM WORK. AS I JUST ARRIVED ON THE 2ND FLOOR, THE BUILDING COLLAPSED ON EVERYBODY WITHIN SECONDS . THE ROOF CAME DOWN OVER OUR HEADS. I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DESCRIBE THIS MIRACLE.I WAS ONE STEP TO DEATH, BUT PEACEFUL, TRUSTING THAT MY LIFE WAS IN GOD'S HAND. MY MIGHTY GOD GOT ME OUT SAFELY. AS I JUMPED FROM THE 2ND FLOOR INTO ALL THE DEBRIS, I GOT HURT ON MY LEFT SIDE.HOWEVER, I AM SAFE AND SOUND...IT IS A LONG LONG STORY.WHAT A MIRACLE! WHAT A GOD THAT WE ARE SERVING! HE SURELY IS NOT DONE YET WITH ME.WHEN I GOT HOME, CLAUDETTE AND THE OTHERS WERE FINE, BUT THE GUEST HOUSE SHOOK UP SO BAD THAT THE WATER COOLER, BOOK SHELVES FULL OF BOOKS, AND CABINETS FELL ON THE FLOORS.AS I AM WRITING THIS EMAIL, THE HOUSE IS STILL SHAKING UP. WE WILL SLEEP OUT SIDE, UNDER THE FRONT PORCH.

ALL THE CHILDREN AT THE ORPHANAGE ARE FINE. BECAUSE TELEPHONES ARE OUT OF SERVICE, IT WAS ALREADY NIGHT AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN PORT-AU-PRINCE WERE IN THE STREET, MOURNING THEIR TRAPPED AND DEAD FAMILY MEMBERS, THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD GET TO THE NLL BUILDING OR HAVE ANY NEWS. EARLY TO MORROW MORNING, I WILL GO THERE. OH ! HOW I PRAY THAT ALL THE CHILDREN AND STAFF ARE SAFE.

THE SITUATION IS AWFULLY AWFUL, TERRIBLY TERRIBLE. PLEASE, PRAY FOR THE GREAT NUMBERS OF FAMILIES WHO HAVE THEIR LOVED ONES STILL UNDER THE RUBBLES WITHOUT MUCH HOPE TO SURVIVE. PRAY FOR HAITI, AND THE CHURCH OF CHRIST.I WILL KEEP ALL POSTED.WE ARE SO GRATEFUL TO GOD TO HAVE YOU ALL IN OUR LIVES.Blessings,Jacob

I have confirmation that Creche le Infant Jesus, managed by Lucien and Gina Duncan is okay.

5 comments:

  1. Our prayers are with you and all those touched by the Earthquake in Haiti. We pray that all the staff and children are safe and unharmed. God be with all of you.
    We are greatful for all the care you give to the children in your orphanage. We first hand know how much you care for all those children in your care. Our two children Tatiann Emery (Fabie) and Dalton Emery (Obed) lived in your orphanage and we are greatful to you for all the care you gave them during there time at the orphanage.
    God bless you, your staff and the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our prayers are with you and all those affected by the Earthquake in Haiti. We are praying for everyone and praying for all the children and staff at the orphanage. I know my family and I are greatful for all the things you and your staff do for the children and Haiti. I am the older sister of Tatianna Emery(Fabie) and Dalton Emery(Obed) that lived in your orphanage and adopted by my parents. I am very greatful for all the love and care you gave to them and each of the other children at the orphanage. God bless you, your staff and the children

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Tatianna & Dalton's Grandfather. My wife & I are both thinking of you and the children and hope to hear more good news about your orphanage. Please keep all of us up too date if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so grateful to hear a report from you. And to hear that you and Claudette and the orphanage are surviving. I have Flore Kensi from your orphanage almost 8 years ago. We are heartbroken by this tragedy and pray that aid will reach you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please let us know more about St Joseph's and Wings as I stayed there to document their lives in '98

    ReplyDelete