Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday, February 5th, 2012

Play time at BRESMA orphanage
I have arrived in Haiti with two visitors: Dr. Melissa Goldstein, a New York pediatrician with a specialty in adoption medicine, and Maya Frey, a writer and adoptive mother. Both have joined me on this trip to learn more about Haitian adoptions and to help spread the word; we have children waiting for families!


This is a first trip to Haiti for both of them. However, they are seasoned travellers. Dr. Goldstein lived in Russia for an extended period, and Maya has spent time in India as well as in Russia during her own adoptions.

I've put myself in an uncomfortable situation. For the first time in memory, I have failed to tell Margarette the whole truth. She knows I'm bringing friends, but to protect the integrity of what they see I have not told her who they are or why they are coming. I want them to see BRESMA exactly how it is every day, whether we're expecting company or not.

We fly down on a plane from New York, which is less packed with 'blan' than most of the post-quake flights from Miami I've taken since the earthquake. After a typically, er, interesting airport arrival, Maya and Melissa and I arrive at the guesthouse. I want to go to BRESMA immediately so that I can spill the beans and tell Margarette the whole truth.

We head over to BRESMA where I find things just as I expect. We currently have 26 children in care. Three are staying at the guesthouse with their adoptive family, but they'll all come over on Wednesday for the little boy's fifth birthday party. I think my guests are impressed with the level of care here. I do know as a mother that I would happily pay to send my child to daycare at BRESMA. Our house is clean and happy, most of the time. You can't realistically have that many little ones in one place without someone pitching a fit at any given moment!

My visitors seem a bit overwhelmed by my waiting children. I have two sibling sets, a young toddler boy, a toddler girl, and an infant girl. All are basically healthy. All they need is a family. Both of them either know or are working with families who are waiting five years for a referral from China or indefinitely for a referral from Ethiopia. And here, my children are waiting. Hopefully they can help us to remedy that situation.

The guesthouse is comfortable, but I sleep badly. Our next-door neighbors apparently have a rooster who has some issues with telling time.

1 comment:

  1. Diana, we are dying to bring some waiting children home. We are moving as fast as we can! You and your children are in our prayers. Keep us in yours!

    Nate Warner

    ReplyDelete