Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Visit to GLA

Continuing my effort to ensure that Maya's article is balanced and complete, we drive up into the mountains to visit God's Littlest Angels. Dixie isn't here today. She's in the D.R. with a very sick baby, but she left instructions for her staff to show us around.


I've been here many times, and it remains unchangingly excellent. Several BRESMA children would have died over the past years were it not for the competency and generosity of GLA in admitting our sick kids into their NICU. Dixie is a nurse, she has another American nurse on staff as well as several Haitian nurses, and she has a functioning neo-natal intensive care unit in her orphanage.

My visitors admire the healthy children and the glorious view from the rooftop terrace playground. It is a remarkable panorama. In Haiti, we say 'deye monn, geyen monn.' (“Behind mountains, there are mountains.”) You can see how true that is from here.

Next we visit their older kids' house, where I have never been before. Children ages about four through twelve live here. Joyce gives us a tour. She and Molly, another American, run this house. They are young women but they have been here eight and ten years respectively. They came as volunteers, and never left.

The program here is remarkable. The children are well-disciplined and scheduled. They have school in Kreyol and in English every day, and most of the older kids understand a great deal of English.

I see two of my own children – K. and J., who were left behind during the BRESMA airlift as I had failed to find them a family. Dixie took them in, along with the French kids and twelve more little ones who weren't matched yet. Two years later, they are still here. Praise God that their case is moving along. They are matched with a family and awaiting Presidential Dispensation for their dossier. They have grown so much that I didn't recognize them, but once Joyce points them out I know them. I must not have changed much on the outside, as they know just who I am. I am so grateful that they have been here, safe and secure.

We spend some time in the yard, just sitting with the kids and listening to them sing and watching them play. It is cool and peaceful and beautiful here – very relaxing. GLA is a good place to be a child.

My guests are leaving today, so we pop into Epi D'Or on our way back down the mountain. I buy Denis a Combo #1 at his request, which I am amused to learn is a hamburger with fries. My visitors decide that they are not hungry, so we just get Denis' meal. The air conditioning is almost too much. I'm getting used to Haiti.

I am finished with my scheduled tasks early. Maybe I'll try to sleep for an hour or so while the rooster next door seems to be on break.

1 comment:

  1. It's just so cool to hear your stories. We took our older girls to Epi D'Or for ice cream after they had done an amazing job helping with a Kid's Camp for 300 neighborhood kids!

    ReplyDelete