Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Attorney Meeting

Summer in Haiti
The attorney I am facing is very good at his job. I haven’t spoken to him beyond the initial pleasantries, but his sheer size and impressive, dignified air would intimidate the heck out of any court. This is a guy I’d want on my side, and not against me.

I’m here to clarify a few points of the law for a few ‘repair’ cases we’re doing. Somehow ABI is a real magnet for repairing errors in independent adoptions and cases gone wrong. They’re usually difficult, often frustrating, and always very rewarding when we manage to set things right and adopted children can go home at last.

I learn from Met. Dumas that once an adoption decree has been issued by the courts, the adoptive parent has equal rights to the child as does the biological parent. Crèches are given the right to care for a child by the biological parent, but under the current law, any parent, biological or adoptive, may remove a child from a crèche at any time and place them in foster care or live with them as they choose.

I’ve been arguing this to DHS for quite some time, and it’s nice to hear in confirmed so emphatically. We have a number of cases, all under the old IBESR procedures, in which the children are not living at BRESMA. Moving them would not be in the best interest of the children, and I’ve made it clear I’ll fight anyone who tries to disrupt their lives more than they have been already. USCIS has sort of folded on this issue, so long as we follow certain procedures and the children do not live with their biological parents.

We have a useful and interesting meeting, and I leave better educated than I arrived. Next I’m off to BRESMA for some more relaxing time with my kids. I’ve arrived at nap time, but I manage to figure it out in time and not raise havoc in the toddler room. I am a bit of a destructive influence here.

Pool party!
The big kids are in the pool again, and Wislande is giving everyone their bath with soap out on the terrace. It’s practical, and a great way to cool down. One of our little girls is fast asleep in the pool with her head propped on the side, right by Wislande so that she can keep an eye on her charge. It’s so peaceful here that I could fall asleep too, if it weren’t for the noise. The girls are playing a game with poses and singing. “Lie down, get up, look at me, I’m a butterfly,” they chant together with hand gestures and motions. It’s adorable to see at least ten little girls in matching pink leotards doing their routine together.

I’ll head home tomorrow, torn by the forever guilt of splitting myself between two places. I missed my youngest child’s birthday on the first day of this trip. I’ve missed a lot for my own children at home in the States. Prom, important ball games, birthdays. But at least today I did not miss the butterfly dance. It will have to do, for now.

1 comment:

  1. You are a living blessing. Being torn between two lives must be grueling, but have no doubt that the lives you touch will be rewarded back to you.

    ReplyDelete